A “Yogi 4th of July” is the perfect time to celebrate!
We all come to yoga for different reasons. We might practice yoga poses to find our center, connect with our body and stretch our limits. One thing we all agree on is it is how amazing it feels when you start to see evidence of your practice show up in your daily life.
By uniting our body, mind, and spirit through consistent asana practice, we nurture a sense of oneness. This feeling of connection begins to show up in our lives as a deeper empathy for all livings things. For example, off the mat, we connect with our bodies by eating healthful foods and behaving in environmentally responsible ways. When we’re stuck the traffic, far from our yoga mat, we can remain calm and loving towards other living beings — even when they cut us off.
Every day, on and off the mat, we celebrate the freedom we feel as a direct result of our dedicated yoga practice. So, on the day when America celebrates freedom, let’s show the world how a happy yogi stands up for freedom.
Make Mindful Preparations
In 2015, Independence Day falls on a Saturday. The temperature should be warm no matter where you are, and the weather may be clear enough for an outdoor picnic at the park. Here are a few of tips to take your yoga practice off of your mat and make your 4th of July picnic a karmic windfall:
- Walk, ride your bike, or carpool to the park to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Bring water, lemonade or other drinks in re-usable containers to reduce the recycling and landfill trash.
- Rely on cloth napkins and tablecloths.
- Bring re-usable plates and cups.
- Be respectful of the ecology of the park and keep pets within specified areas. If you have kids, talk to them about why this is important.
- Make your own organic (and chemical-free) sunscreen and bug repellants with ingredients such as citronella, eucalyptus or lavender essential oils.
Celebrate Food Freedom
The discipline and awareness we gain from practicing our yoga poses often leads to a desire to eat healthy foods that support balance in our bodies and clarity in our minds. For many yoga practitioners this means eating a vegetarian diet or incorporating more vegetarian meals into your diet. Take your Fourth of July barbeque beyond hot dogs and burgers with these vegetarian options for the grill:
- Skewer vegetables for roasting. Slide chunks of peppers, tomatoes, onions and squash alternately on a skewer, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with fresh herbs.
- Use farm-fresh, free-range eggs to make deviled eggs. Try a little Greek yogurt and garlic instead of mayo to make the fillings.
- Make organic red skin potato salad (with the skins on). Use mustard, Greek yogurt and a dash of olive oil. Add chopped kale, onions, celery, and peppers for a great side dish.
- Produce an array of cold bean salads using black beans, pintos or green peas. One of our favorites calls for black beans, corn and finely chopped kale, all mixed with garlic, olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- A Fourth of July dessert option includes blueberries, strawberries and apples mixed together for a red, white and blue delight.
After a loving meal with your friends and family, you may feel inclined to pull everyone together for a few yoga poses in the park.
Happy Fourth of July!
Healthful tips everyone can useWorking up a sweat in a yoga session leaves us longing for a soothing drink. In the past, we’ve simply reached for our water bottle and while drinking lots of water is still part of our routine when hydrating for yoga (long live H2O!), we recently discovered an awesome hydration tip, and we thought you’d [...]
Recapping our favorite yoga festsEven though we’re halfway through 2015, now is the perfect time to save the date for this year's best yoga festivals. Yoga festivals are great for meeting the most knowledgeable and beloved yoga teachers, seeing amazing yoga demonstrations and checking out the newest yoga offerings. They also happen to be a ton of fun. We’ve [...]
“To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one’s own in the midst of abundance.” — BuddhaWhen it comes to yoga philosophy, we try to follow “the yoga path.” We work, eat, play and practice yoga with intention. We seek to continually deepen our awareness of our minds and bodies. We observe the yamas and niyamas [...]
What is Therapeutic Yoga?There’s a dramatic shift happening in the nation’s mindset these days. More and more people — and their doctors — are looking toward alternative methods for preventing, relieving and curing diseases. Instead of just seeking treatment when they’re sick, many Americans are turning toward healing practices like therapeutic yoga to support a [...]
Running strengthens the body, the mind and the spirit, just like yoga. Long-distance running, like yoga, can put a person into a meditative state. Both activities foster a lifestyle, and while runners have special clothes and accessories, yogis have their yoga products like yoga pants and Yoga Eggs.Good for the Body and the MindRunners can benefit from yoga as much [...]
We love color — rich colors, bright colors, and colors that inspire. When it comes to our Yoga Eggs, rather than trying to keep up with the masses, we like to blaze our own colorful trail.How do we choose our colors? All of our Egg colors are selected with both aesthetics and function in mind. While the color options for [...]
Green Eggs and HomeI can be pretty hard on myself. I work long hours and I don’t spend a lot of time admiring the things I’ve accomplished. No matter how good things are, I always assume they could be better. It drives the people around me crazy, but… it’s totally worth it.If you’ve read Meet the Inventor, you know [...]
Among the best yoga accessories for your bodyEveryone knows that regular yoga practice benefits your long-term health. In the short-term, however, you may experience many things, including some unexpected and even unpleasant (but fairly common) side-effects of getting to know the postures and your body. From a tweaked shoulder, a sore wrist or perhaps an injured ego, these perceived set-backs [...]
If you use yoga props in your practice, you obviously appreciate what they can do for you. If you use Three Minute Egg yoga props in your practice, you know how good they can make you feel! Our Yoga Eggs support your body in asanas unlike anything else because of their ergonomic shape. For example, several Eggs can cradle [...]